Wednesday 18 February 2009

Plymouth 1 Palace 3

My jaw is still firmly on the floor after Palace’s staggering away win at Plymouth tonight.

I can't say that Plymouth is a club that I have a special affinity with. I seem to recall passing through the place on a National Express coach when I was a kid. They also were the club who employed Peter Shilton as manger in the nineties. Shilton is not a character I have a great deal of time for because of Mexico ’86. Hand of God or no Hand of God, there is no way an international class goalkeeper should be second to a ball against a 5ft nothing striker, Especially when that striker was using his hand.

For me they Plymouth have two redeeming qualities: They play in green like Mexico, St Etienne and Werder Bremen plus Paul Sturrock seems like a decent enough bloke. He may well find himself out of the job after this result.

Our goals were all scored in the first half by Neil Danns, Alan Lee and John Oster. Gary Sawyer notched up Argyle's consolation.

After an appalling January when we hardly played at all due to bed weather or FA Cup ties (and when we did play we lost) its great to be back amongst the goals and moving back up the table again. Hopefully the game highlights will be on the Net soon.

0 comments: