Saturday 14 February 2009

Dog Eared Moonlight: The Milk & Honey Band

I loath music reviews. I can't stand the constant need to shoe horn in bullshit metaphors that reak of self-importance and pretension. Therefore this post is more of an observation than a review.

I've known Robert White for so long that any music he produces will be so bound up by my own affection for the man that it would be impossible to be objective about anything he creates. In this instance, I don't really think it matters that much as I believe the latest album from the The Milk And Honey Band to be a work of great eloquence and beauty.

Dog Eared Moonlight is a collection of primarily acoustic melodies ideal for an evening in with good company and a nice bottle of red or if you have the means and the climate, a summer night outdoors with a cold beer.

The lyrics carry sentiment without sentimentality. My favorite tracks are No World At All which has a glorious and wistful country flavour; Disappear because it reminds me of so many other great tracks I've heard by this band (plus I'm a sucker for that mandoline sound) and Maryfaith because its just a fucking gorgeous tune.

The album is out March 9th on Ape Records and it would be really great if people bought it. More information is available on the band's Myspace page.

2 comments:

Chris O 14 February 2009 at 12:42  

Sounds just like my kinda thing. I shall make a purchase at my earliest convenience. :)

Anonymous,  25 February 2009 at 01:06  

I have read today a review of the new Album.
I never heard thomething of this band before.
Short youtube search, great music, i am always looking for these kind of music.

Sad, those pearls are hard to find in the dust of public entertainment.

Btw. look for p.j.harvey, not this kind of music, but also much underrated.

;)