Sunday 23 November 2008

I still have not seen the new Bond film



I've just finished writing an Onion Bag about William Gallas. This piece maintains that the reason why the Arsenal skipper has blown a gasket once again is because he still has yet to see Quantum Of Solace. The piece is semi-autobiographical.

I should qualify that last sentence by pointing out that I am not professional footballer. However, it has been three weeks and I have still not seen the latest Bond film so while the Bag is not my life story it is the story of my life.

The problem is that Mrs RD has expressed a desire to miss out on the film. Which means I probably have to go on my own and I hate going to the cinema at the best of times, even more so on my own.

As a younger man I wouldn't flinch at the idea of dropping in at my local flea pit by myself to watch a movie. The main reason for this is that most of the time my local flea pit was almost always empty save for a few hardy souls who just wanted to be left alone to watch Star Trek III: The Search For Spock for a third time.

Modern cinemas are too clean and too popular. They are populated by spotty teens with mobile phones who won't shut up. Don't get me wrong, I've done my fair share of irritating the fuck out of adults as a child in the Odeon Croydon. But the shoe is on the other foot now and all I really want is a nice little Astoria Purley or ABC Brighton to go to and watch a film in a slightly sticky floored environment with second rate sound and projection.

After all whats the point of surround sound and large screen if its going to cost you close to a tenner to get in and you have to put up with oily ticks planning what they're going to do once they finished ruining the movie you're trying to watch.

I realise what this makes me sound like and that's fine. Its my blog after all. What doesn't change is that for as long as there is a James Bond film in existence that I have not seen, things are not in their proper place in this world. I've see all the other Bond films many times over. I could quote huge passages from some of the older ones. I've read the books (most of them anyway) I've got the soundtracks and I consider myself an aficionado. The fact the QoS remains unseen disturbs me greatly, even more than the thought that Maggot Bombs may not affect zombies.

So tomorrow (or tonight depending on when you read this) after my shift ends I'm going to resist the temptation to go home and brave Leicester Square. I'll send Tweets of my progress. Wish me luck...



I must remember to tape I'm A Celebrity though.

1 comments:

Chris O 24 November 2008 at 07:50  

You'll enjoy it, I'm almost certain to say!

Since my daughter was born two years ago, going to the movies has become very much something I *used* to do, but when Quantum of Solace came out, I made a pact with myself - to book half a day of annual leave off work and go and see it.

I was glad I did and now feel much better for it. As I'm sure you will, too.

Totally with you on all your other points - in fact I even had half a dozen yoofs sitting at the back jabbering away through certain parts of the film too. Nice to know there are some things in life you can still rely on...