Thursday 29 January 2009

Tour Of Croydon Update and Stage 1.5

Lets be honest, its been a really cold winter. A hateful season. I'm not one to complain about the cold but by Christ this was different.

At least that what I have been telling myself. For you see by blaming the weather I absolve myself of the depressingly familiar feeling of guilt and self loathing for not having taken my new bike out.

So far my Tour Of Croydon has not gone so well. The route I showed you in my last post has been done on a couple of occasions with reasonable success. I have also planned out a longer route (Stage 1.5 below, I don't have the gall to advance my progress by a single number) which I completed once with hilarious consequences (if you find a 40 something MLC wobbling along on a bike gasping for breath funny and what right thinking person doesn't). I even managed to ride to my folks in Riddlesdown and back again.

That was ten days ago and its only been today that I've managed to get back on the thing and that was only for half of Stage 1.5 (.75?). I know I said baby steps but my progress on my journey back to peak fitness is little more that a glint in the postman's eye at the moment.

In fairness its not been entirely my fault. Mr Volkswagen is partially to blame. After all, if he'd designed the Polo to be wider, I could have fit my bike in the back of one and taken it to Glastonbury last weekend when me and Mrs RDM went to visit friends. At the very least it would have made my excuse for not taking it out much harder to concoct.

Anyhoo, the weekend is upon us and I'm off to Brighton so maybe I'll squeeze it onto the train and take a ride up to the Devils Dyke...

Its the way I tell' em


View Larger Map

0 comments: